There’s a lot to keep in mind when you’re having a website redesigned or a new website design created for a launch. Not only do you have to make sure the content connects with your audience but it has to accurately portray your company personality, deliver solid benefit statements, be optimized from an SEO standpoint AND be attractive without being cumbersome.
That might seem overwhelming to a small business owner looking for web design in Mobile, AL but if you look closely at the individual components of a website, you’ll see common elements that make it easy to plan the structure & design of your new site.
It will also help you avoid making some common mistakes that make websites unusable.
Here are some top site elements to keep in mind when you’re having a new site created.
1. Good visual design – Your site has to be visually pleasing, but how do you know it’s going to be visually pleasing to everyone? One thing to keep in mind is that “less is more” where a website is concerned. A clean, simple design is all you really need to get your message across. While flash elements and other bells and whistled might look nice to you, they could be difficult to navigate for someone not familiar with your site structure.
2. Simple user interface – Don’t create dynamic, flash driven user interfaces that look like a control panel for a rocket ship. You have to approach web design for your Mobile, AL business in a way that makes it easy for the user. That interface is the foundation for a website that your audience enjoys.
When you design the site, consider your audience and how computer literate they are. Create an image of your ideal visitor, and design an interface that fits their preferences and style.
3. Navigation up top – Always have your navigation above the fold (the bottom of the screen) and make it easy for people to find what they’re looking for. Your navigation is what leads people into your deep pages of your site and helps them find what they’re looking for. Keep it as simple, and straightforward as possible – and never force them to go beyond 3 clicks to find what they’re looking for.
4. Repeat your navigation – Not only is this good for SEO purposes, but it makes it easy on users who scroll to the bottom of your content. When navigation is at either end of the page, they don’t have to scroll back up to find a link to a relevant topics or interest.
5. Valuable content – An attractive website will only get people in the door. If you have a great looking storefront, but empty shelves, you won’t win any customers. Quality content that is valuable, educates and helps your audience make a decision is one of the best investments when you seek out an Alabama based web design agency.
6. About you - An about page might seem droll and boring, but it doesn’t have to be. This is space devoted to showing people why they should do business with you. Communicate that information, show off your personality, and hook them in. In most cases, a potential client will select the company with real people behind it, rather than faceless organizations with ultra-professional corporate speak.
7. Contact info - Make your contact information easy to find. Few things can turn people off more than having to hunt for a phone number or location information. Imagine how many customers you would lose, and how much money you’re leaving on the table, if you have people who want to do business with you but they don’t know how.
8. Sign up - Savvy business owners build their own mail lists by collecting information about their customers. It’s a great (and free) way to market to your audience, and to stay in contact with them. A smart way to convince people to opt-in and provide their information is to give something away. Create a free report along with a newsletter that is packed with industry information that educates, humors, provides value and/or makes their job easier. They get it free when they sign up, and you get a growing list of people to market to.